Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

No Turning Back - Kaylea Cross

Book Back:
CIA communications expert Samarra Wallace is on the run from a faceless enemy when she learns terrorists have kidnapped and threatened to execute her cousin. She will do whatever it takes to free her, including breaking cover to contact the former teammate she is dangerously attracted to. Now all she has to do is convince him she's not working for the bad guys.

Ex-Army Ranger Ben Sinclair isn't sure he can trust Sam, but he can't turn her away. Lives are at stake and she may be the only way to capture the terrorist mastermind his team is hunting. Despite his reservations, he finds himself falling for her. But when Sam's innocence is questioned again during a botched operation in the remote mountains of Afghanistan, the team pays a terrible price for trusting her. In the wake of that staggering betrayal Ben must decide if she's the innocent woman he fell in love with, or if she's a traitor who'd set them up to die.

In My Own Words:
After Sam finds out she is not only being followed, but also being watched in her own home, she isn't sure who she can trust or exactly who is after her.  She packs a bag and heads off to try and stay alive long enough to figure out who is after her.  After a few nights on her own, she realizes she can no longer do it alone, so she contacts the one person she is positive would never hurt her, Ben.  Ben is trying to put all of the pieces to the puzzle together and coming up with a few pieces short, and it looks like Sam is a traitor that will do anything including sacrificing her team to get her cousin back.  Ben makes it his mission to keep close tabs on Sam to make sure she can not harm anyone, but that she is doing her job.  When a mission goes horribly wrong, and someone VERY close to Ben is almost killed, Sam's loyalty is called out and questioned.  Will the truth actually set her free??

Review:
This is the 3rd book in the SEAL series, and it is my favorite thus far.  An action packed book, from beginning to the end.  There were some parts of this book that were very hard for me to read, one in particular was very gruesome and brought tears to my eyes.  While, the scene was very hard to fathom, it was also hard to not keep going.  I felt like I was in the room with them as they watched the video as it was happening.  I loved how the characters (for the most part) have been involved in each book in this series.  I have really enjoyed getting to know them all, and try to plan out what I think might happen.  I have never read a series, where the bad guy is the same throughout the series, and I thought I would get bored with it, but I haven't.  The author has kept it new and every time I think they have him....The moment when Sam realized that Ben thought she set them up, was gut wrenching to me, and the things he said to her in the hospital made me cringe.  My favorite scene was in the Epilogue, totally made me giggle.  This book definitely played on my emotions, more than once.  My issues with this book it is seems a little long and the "thought" sequences are rather wordy and unnecessary, I caught myself skimming a lot of those.  That being said, I can't wait for Rys' book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin