Pages

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Against the Wind - Kat Martin

Synopsis:
They were known as the "no-account Raines boys" but they've grown into successful, honorable men and everything they have, they've fought for tooth and nail. Now each of the three brothers has one last obstacle to overcome to claim what's eluding them: love.

Secrets don't stay buried long in cattle country. Sarah Allen, the beautiful girl who humiliated Jackson Raines in high school, is back in town. Not so long ago, she couldn't wait to leave Wind Canyon, Wyoming, in her dust. But, recently widowed, she has nowhere else to go and finds herself on Jackson's ranch. And despite everything, Jackson's finding himself reluctant to get rid of her.

Sarah brings her own kind of trouble, and he can't resist trouble. Enemies of her dead husband show up making threats, thinking she has something they're owed. They're not taking no for an answer, but what they will take is the one thing she has left—her daughter. Jackson's the only one who might be able to save little Holly and bring her home.

Review:
This was a great mix of classic down home detective work, and cowboy ranching-meets-old-flame.  It was a long road for Sarah during her marriage she was beaten inside and out.  She fears now that her husband is finally gone for good that his enemies will never leave her alone.  She retreats to her home town and from the first time she needs help with a flat tire, Jackson is there to help.  Through many twists and turns and life threatening scenarios they Jackson forgives Sarah for how she humiliated him so many years ago and falls hopelessly in love with her and for Sarah's 6 year old daughter, Holly.  Jackson is determined to have them in his life for the rest of his life and Sarah is determined not to let her past mess up Jackson's life.

Notable Quote:
"You can be a real pain in the ass sometimes, you know?"  Sarah grinned more broadly than he had ever seen her.  "I'll take that as a compliment."  (Sarah refusing to wait at the hotel when a meeting is set with an informant)

Rating:
4 1/2 out of 5.  I really enjoyed this story.  The relationships were believable and I found myself tensing up when there was trouble.  I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.  I truly can't wait until Gabe's story, Against the Fire, is available in Feb. (my only issues with this book, isn't with the story, there were several typos and it really bugged me, BUT, the story was great and I will be pre-ordering the next book as soon as I can).

3 comments:

  1. I think I am going to download this to my kindle tonight!! Great review!! We seem to like the same authors and types of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are enjoying the book...It was a recommend to me so it is kind of a "pay it forward" think with a good book :_

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin