Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

A Place Called Home - Jo Goodman

Book Blurb:
When Thea Wyndham and Mitchell Baker learn they've been named joint guardians for their late friends' three children, they're little more than acquaintances. Barely polite acquaintances, at that. Something about Mitch's forthright intensity has always left ad exec Thea feeling off-balance, while Mitch makes no secret of his disdain when Thea offers him financial assistance if he'll take sole guardianship.

Thea is far from heartless. She's just plain terrified of her new parenting responsibilities. Both she and Mitch are romantically involved with other people. Yet the more time they spend together, the less certain she is of her loyalties. There are complications and missteps, tears and laughter—lots of it. And somehow, through it all, the dawning realization that the last place she thought she'd find herself could be just where she belongs. . .

In My Own Words:
When Thea and Mitch's best friends are killed in a car wreck, their vow to take on their children is called up.  Thea is MIA when the wreck happens and Mitch has the kids for weeks before Thea can be notified. Thea feels she can't take on the responsibility of the children and implores Mitch to continue on as he has been doing.  She is willing to contribute financially and will visit as often as she can, but that is all she can offer.  Mitch sees Thea as a heartless cold woman, who could turn their backs on those kids, especially since she swore to her best friend and the children's father that she would help Mitch raise them if the need arouse.

When Mitch starts diving in to Thea's life, he realizes she is far from the ice queen he pictured her as and when Thea realizes she needs the connection to the kids, they both realize they will have to learn to deal with each other.  The closer they get, the more they understand...they have more between them then a custody situation.

Notable Quote:
..."If I were the speaker of the house, I'd want to sue your ass."
"Careful, you'll turn my head with compliments like that. Anyway, it was a good likeness.  Flattering, I thought."
(Mitch talking to Thea's attorney about his job as a cartoonist)

Review:
I enjoyed meeting Thea and Mitch.  Their story was a sad one, and the two made the best of the situation. I LOVED the twins.  The were full of life and said exactly what popped in to their heads.  I thought this story was a bit long.  It was a slow starter for me.  I didn't really start getting all that interested until close to 3/4 through.  The thought sequences were VERY descriptive and the sex scenes, while hot, were as equally as wordy.  I found myself skimming a lot.  I will try this author again, but I think I will wait a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin