Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Have You Seen Her? ~ Karen Rose

Book Blurb:
One by one, the girls disappear from their beds at night. Each one is pretty, with long dark hair. And each one is found brutally murdered.

Special Agent Steven Thatcher has sworn to find the serial killer preying on this small town. As the investigation pulls him one way, his family pulls him in another. A widower haunted by loss, he now worries about his son Brad slipping away. But there's a bright light in his life: his son's teacher, Jenna Marshall, has reached out to help. She's beautiful, kind, and considerate--and slowly, tentatively, she and Steven are starting to fall in love. But both have been hurt before--badly. And as the two try to find the courage to bare their souls, a murderer who has slain many looks for the real treasure he craves. He sets his traps. And waits. For Jenna...

In My Own Words:
When Jenna Marshall decided to become a teacher, the last thing she thought she would have to deal with was a football player's family and friends threatening and terrorizing her for failing him, thus keeping him off the field.  When the threats become a bit overwhelming, she turns to the father of another student, Special Agent Steven Thatcher, who has had his own bouts with someone terrorizing his family when his son was taken 6 months prior.  Since that time, little Nicky hasn't been or had much joy in his little life.  When meddling Aunt Helen starts her plan to get Steven married off, the plan couldn't have backfired more when Steven thinks that Jenna is part of the plan.  When the cards are stacked against them, they seem to find their way back to each other, but when the body count starts to rise, even Jenna's friends aren't safe.

Notable Quote:
..."I was going to have icecream for dinner. Want some?"
"You really need to have better nutrition, Jenna."  Seth stood up. "Butter pecan is my favorite."
"It's Rocky Road."
....."Like I said, Rocky Road is my favorite."

Review:
I have to admit, I had a hard time getting in to this particular book in the series.  We met several different people right away, and trying to keep them all straight got a bit trying at times.  I also didn't feel any chemistry with really any of the characters.  After about 1/3 of the way through, I began to piece it together, and I started to feel for Steven, it wasn't until then that I started to enjoy the book.  Several parts of this book stick out in my mind, the relationship between dad and sons.  There are two completely different family dynamics that you witness, and they are polar opposites.  The way that Steven always seemed to be saying "I'm sorry" to Jenna, and seeming to truly mean it.  The meddling Aunt and neighbor were highlights to me.  I did figure out "who done it" before it was revealed, but I had quite a hard time deducing the perp until a few things slipped.  I wasn't put off by knowing who the bad guy actually was, though.  All in all, I would say, this is a good book.  It wasn't one of my favorites, but I enjoyed it eventually, and was pulling for some of the main characters.  I hope Davies gets his own story.  He played a pivotal roll in the investigation and in Steven & Jenna's relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin